C.L.I.C.K. for Justice and Equality is an agent of communication alerting our social community of injustices and inequalities among the socially disadvantaged and disenfranchised individual. C.L.I.C.K. developed and created this website to assist the socially disenfranchised or disadvantaged individual in litigating their issues in Federal and State courts.

Friday, March 13, 2009

WalMart Pharmacy: Are you getting the right prescriptions?

March 13, 2009

Mr. Lee Scott, President & CEO
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Mr. Scott:

I, Fred Nance Jr., write this letter in behalf of my wife, xxxxxxx xxxxxx-Nance. In August of 2008 my wife had her Thyroid glands removed. She was given a prescription for Levoxyl from Dr. David Sarne with specific instructions written on the prescription reporting that this medication should not be substituted. Your Wal-Mart Store pharmacy located at 16771 Torrence Ave., Lansing, Illinois, 60438, substituted this medication for the generic a called Levothyroxin.

On March 12, 2009, at approximately 1:00 pm (CST), when I took my wife’s prescription in to this Wal-Mart Pharmacy your manager Zuwena Shamver caught the mistake when she was entering the present prescription into your system. Ms. Shamver informed me that it was written on the prescription not to substitute. This is the first time Ms. Shamver took our prescriptions. Ms. Shamver informed me she would call Dr. Sarne to see if this medication can be substituted.

On March 12, 2009 Dr. Sarne called our home informing me he received a call from the Wal-Mart pharmacy about this prescription. Dr. Sarne informed me that his prescription was specific, and that it should not have been substituted for a generic brand. Dr. Sarne stated that my wife needed to take the name-brand prescription of Levoxyl because of her particular surgery and loss of the Thyroid glands.

On March 13, 2009 I went to this Wal-Mart Store to pick up our prescriptions. I arrived at 1:05 pm (CST). The pharmacy opening, lunch time and closing times are posted in the pharmacy area for customers to view. The posted lunch time is 1:30 pm (CST). The Hispanic female pharmacy worker, Ms. Allanna waited on me (I may have the name spelled wrong). This pharmacy worker informed me that my wife’s medication (Levoxyl) was not filled. I informed her that I brought this prescription in on March 12, 2009 at 1:00 pm (CST), and that Ms. Shamver informed me that it would ready on March 12, 2009.

The Hispanic female pharmacy worker said she would check to see what the status was on wife’s medication. She informed me that the medication was ordered and that I would have to come back later. I informed her that this response was unacceptable. I asked to speak to the manager. She informed me the manager was not working today. She informed me that she would look to see if it came in with the stock today. She returned telling me that it was in but I would have to come back around 3:00 pm (CST) because it was lunch time, and they would not be putting the stock up until that time. I informed her that it was 1:10 pm (CST) and that the pharmacy sign says lunch is 1:30 pm (CST). She looked at me. I asked her for the corporate office address and phone number. She gave me Mr. John Alex Sangueza’s business card and wrote 1-800-Walmart and Ms. Shamver’s name on the back on the card. I left the store.

As I thought about this incident, I went back in the store. It was 1:18 pm (CST). I talked to the pharmacist on duty. I think his name is Hiram Anderson. I asked Mr. Anderson for a copy of the prescription I gave Ms. Shamver on March 12, 2009. Mr. Anderson told me that it was lunch time. I informed him that his sign says 1:30 pm (CST), and that it was 1:20 pm. I informed Mr. Anderson of the above. Mr. Anderson told me that I should think about apologizing if I am wrong about the prescription stating “no substitute.” I said, What!!!

Mr. Anderson asked the white female pharmacy worker to get me a copy of the prescription. The white pharmacy worker looked for my wife’s medication. She found the medication in a box that was right next to her. She filled the prescription for my wife’s medication. She was about to give me the medication when Mr. Anderson told her to get me a copy of the prescription first. The white female pharmacy worker gave me a copy of the prescription. The Hispanic female processed my payment for my wife’s medication. The Hispanic female gave me my wife’s medication.

When I was leaving the counter a white female customer was trying to talk to the Hispanic female about her prescription(s). The Hispanic female started walking to the door, ignored her and closed the door behind, signifying that the pharmacy was closed. This is the daily operation of this pharmacy. I have threatened to write you many times, but your manager Zuwena Shamver has been so polite and courteous addressing my issues that I have not written. If not for Ms. Shamver I would have written you long ago. Mr. Anderson has always had a “stand-off” attitude whenever I addressed an issue.

Sir, what are you going to do about my issue, specifically, my wife receiving a generic medication when the prescription reports no substitute? It appears that Wal-Mart promotes such a low-price for prescription medications that the “generic” option is “best practice” for Wal-Mart. Please prove me wrong on this statement. On the customer relations issue, I do not believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This lack of appropriate “customer service” behavior is a training issue. I need to get a written response from you.

Respectfully submitted,


Fred Nance Jr.

cc: Ms. Zuwena Shamver
http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/
http://click.townhall.com/
http://clickforjusticeandequality.wordpress.com/
http://www.frednance.newsvine.com/

Copy of prescription dated March 11, 2009 attached.

No comments: